Citizenboostr - How can we use citizen journalism to crowdsource creative and engaging content?
Citizenboostr. How can we use citizen journalism to crowdsource creative and engaging content?
NGO Project Lead:
- Kosovo 2.0,
- Civic Alliance Podgorica,
- New Horizon,
- CPI Foundation,
- Youth Educational Forum,
- Shipyard Foundation,
- Civic Alliance.
All Project Participants:
- Besa Luci and Hana Marku – Kosovo 2.0
- Darko Ivanovic – Civic Alliance Podgorica
- Shkamb Qavdarbasha – The Institute for Development POlicy
- Nazif Velic - New Horizon
- Danela Zagar – GONG
- Zoran Ivancic – CPI Foundation
- Marjan Zabrchanec – Youth Educational Forum
- Lukasz Ostrowski – Shipyard Foundation
- Djordje Krivokapic – Share / FON
- Srecko Sekeljic – Institute for Sustainable Communities
- Vladimir Vulic – Digitalizuj.me
- Marina Bauk – Civic Alliance
Summary of the Problem
This is a description of the problem situation. What kind of people mission better if this problem is solved? Most media outlets focus on large-scale issues without necessarily paying attention to more minor problems. This particularly affects startup media and organizations working with small and niche communities but also those that aim to mainstream issues. Additionally, engaging people has become harder as social media and information sources have boomed. As a result, more coherent and well planned approaches are required to be able to crowd source news production and actively engage citizens. Solving this problem would benefit both organizations working on social causes and the public at large by ensuring that they are involved in the process of delivering their news and benefiting from social engagement on those issues.
This should provide an outline of the basic need that would solve the above problem.
- Create a regional citizen journalism platform that serves as a two-way communication and publication channel.
- Citizens can submit content they care about in the platform for media and organization to follow through, with attribution.
- Media and organizations can engage citizen journalists to crowdsource information and activism in local and niche communities.
- Post will be categorized at upload time, then rating and possible correction will be crowdsourced to readers of different sections.
- Engaging citizens that are too frightened to produce news publicly with their names.
- Build anonymous sources with credibility operating in blogs and online domains that are out of reach of government.
- Provide the technical capacities to produce citizen journalism – cheap cameras, podcast sets, recorders, easy access to means of publication.
- Utilize campaigns and competitions as a stimulus to engage people in the production of information materials.
- Identify target audiences and credible and verified citizen contributors and build a personal relationship with the citizen journalist and contributors in order to create a friendly and intimate work relationship. (offline, in person events and activities – teambuilding)
- Project the identity of your organization and your goal clearly, so that you build trust both your audience and the people who write for you.
- All materials will be placed under a default open creative commons license BUT users can decide to apply a different license.
Technology to Solve the Problem Areas of technology that you believe have the potential to solve this problem? (eg mobile devices, social networks, geospatial technology, etc.).
- Online tutorials for the production of media material (video, audio, multimedia, text) – Citizen media academy.
- Free production software (Design software, video editing sof,, audio editing software)
- Reliable and redundant cloud storage capacities. (Amazon, Google, Apple)
- Publishing platforms (websites of participant organizations and social media)
- Networking platform (communityboostr?) with a central repository system for all digital materials produced and regularly monitored.
- Technical infrastructure (cheap cameras, podcast sets, audio recording tools, data storage capacities, editing venues)
- Targeted advertising – but not necessarily commercial advertising.
What other information could help technologists working on this idea? Other events are in progress.
- GlobalVoices, Khan Academy (to crowdsource translation of content)
- Current programs of the participant organizations working with citizen journalism and blogging in general.
- (Categorization and prioritization): stackoverflow.com
Once a potential solution has been developed, what is your plan of action to implement it? A) Establish coordination team between the partner organizations – Create a formal coordination team for the implementation of the idea. B) Research market interests on the field from the aforementioned people.
- Identify regional institutional participants and establish informal network.
- Create a sustainability strategy for the platform.
- Create capacity development strategy (technology, training, involvement AND develop the platform. (communityboostr?)
- Establish formal partnerships with media and organizations who will continuously follow through with platform content.
- Devise and implement an awareness raising / outreach / campaign and an advertising campaign.
- Launch platform.