- 1 Project Title:
- 2 Presentation Videos
- 3 Project Presentation
- 4 Project Participants:
- 5 NGO Project Lead:
- 6 Technologist Project Lead:
- 7 Project Presenter:
- 8 Group Number:
- 9 Problem Set Format
- 10 Summary of the Problem
- 11 Summary of the Proposed Solution
- 12 Terms:
- 13 Open Learning Models:
- 14 Technology to Solve the Problem
- 15 Forrester created a POST method:
- 16 4Ps of Marketing:
- 17 Existing solutions or relevant links
- 18 Follow-on Actions
Lizette Gonzales (Mexico), JORGE Luis Sierra (Mexico), Qazi Fazli Azeem (Pakistan), Diana del Olmo (USA), Andrew Bast (USA), Joshua Mmali (DRC), Trevor Knoblich (USA), Inna Dubinsky (USA), Magnus Ag (USA)
NGO Project Lead:
Technologist Project Lead:
Problem Set Format
Problem sets and solutions provide a method that details everything you need to get support to a critical problem to which an NGO or a grassroots organization faces.
How do we create a MOOC (massive online open course) about security strategies and tools to teach journalists and activists?
Summary of the Problem
This is a description of the problem situation. What kind of people mission better if this problem is solved?
- Mexico: Journalist are blackmailed and harassed when they report corruption and drug trafficking. Journalists can’t be trained openly because they can be tracked by police and risk lives.
Guatemala and Honduras: Anybody who is doing reporting on high-risk activities is in danger.
- Pakistan: journalists need to have technical tools to do their job safely
DRC, Kenya and other countries in Africa: journalists lack much information. Also access and distribution are big problems. Russia and other states in Eurasia: Journalists and activists work at their peril reporting human right violations, corruption, etc. and risk persecution or even being killed. The problem is that free content is subject to legal content protection.
Summary of the Proposed Solution
This should provide an outline of the basic need that would solve the above problem.
- OER – Open Education Resources
- Sal Khan Academy – self-guided models: KhanAcademy.org
- Open Learning Models
- Open hang-outs, google-based or social-network –based, skype
- Accreditation (incentives)
Open Learning Models:
- MOOC (Coursers, Udacity (technical), EDX, Interlab Stanford, Knight of Americas). Courses are free, with premium model (cost of productions is high). Peer-to-peer evaluation. Open source.
- Resources (K-Lite (Raspberry pc @ $25), Khan, i-tunes, Open courseware at MIT, podcasts, Forum, CIMA, LibTech, UNITER, InfoDev (based on SMS))
- OER (K-Lite)
- Webinars/Video Training ( $: Techchange, Pointer, IRE, Lynda.com; free- ICFJ, Peace & Collaborative Network, Ning.com, Werner Inst., CUNY – non-credit)
Technology to Solve the Problem
Areas of technology that you believe have the potential to solve this problem? (eg mobile devices, social networks, geospatial technology, etc.). As the proposed solution could be used?
Forrester created a POST method:
- Population (audience, users, target groups, constituents, etc.)
- Objective(s) (educate, raise awareness, mobilize, activate, etc.)
- Strategy (online-radio educational course)
- Technology (pencils, apps, etc.)
4Ps of Marketing:
- Product, Placement, Position, Price
What other information could help technologists working on this idea?
- Use a pre-existing platform: ICFJ; Knight, WordPress
- Syllabus/Content/Core Skills (CPJ Journalist Security Guide, etc.) :
- Risk Assessment
- Basic Preparedness/Exit Strategies
- Assesing & Responding to Risk/Standards of Practice
- Information Security Protocols/ Technologies to keep you safer (encryption/file security/anonimization/info gathering/mobile)
- Organized Crime
- Natural/Political Disasters/Civil Matters/Health Epidemics/Hazards
- Stress Reactions/Trauma
- Managing Sources
- Ethics & Professionalism
- Guide to Reporting Human Rights Sto)ries
- Teachers/experts recruitment
- Production (Technical: recording, editing, infographics, uploading)
- Participants/Target audience
|Journalist Security Guide (English, Spanish, Arabic, Somali)||CPJ\|
|Journalist Security Course (Spanish)||University of Guadalajara|
|Journalist Skills for Security (English, Spanish, Russian)||SpeakUpsSpeakOut.internews.org|
|Tools for Safer Online & Mobile Practices||Speaksafe.internews.org/manual\|
Once a potential solution has been developed, what is your plan of action to implement it? Should arise as a series of steps and goals, preferably together with actions assigned to a specific group of people.