- 1 Project Title:
- 2 Project Participants:
- 3 NGO Project Lead:
- 4 Technologist Project Lead:
- 5 Project Presenter:
- 6 Group Number:
- 7 Problem Set Format
- 8 Summary of the Problem
- 9 Summary of the Proposed Solution
- 10 Technology to Solve the Problem
- 11 Existing solutions or relevant links
- 12 Follow-on Actions
Get Connect!!! (ಸಂಪರ್ಕ ಪಡೆಯಿರಿ and தொடர்வு கொள்ளுங்கள்)
India and Sri Lanka young adults
NGO Project Lead:
Dream A Dream and Sri Lanka Unites
Technologist Project Lead:
Cathryn Stickel Frontline SMS
Nishath and Pavithra
Problem Set Format
How do you run an SMS campaign to illiterate populations or populations with multiple languages?
Summary of the Problem
This is a description of the problem situation. What kind of people mission better if this problem is solved? We are attempting to communicate with youths in Sri Lanka and India, however many of them speak local languages and it is difficult to mount an SMS campaign. Many of the youths have only a basic understanding of English. Spoken English is better understood, but requiring them to type or read in English, as one would need to do when communicating via SMS, is challenging. The youths benefit from this campaign because they get information on career opportunity, placement, internship, workshop and many other facilities.
Summary of the Proposed Solution
This should provide an outline of the basic need that would solve the above problem. We will use FrontlineSMS to divide the youths into smart groups based on their local language, and communicate with them in this language instead of English. This will enable young adults to avail themselves of the opportunities offered by our NGOs.
Technology to Solve the Problem
Areas of technology that you believe have the potential to solve this problem? (eg mobile devices, social networks, geospatial technology, etc.). As the proposed solution could be used? Because almost all of the youths already own mobile phones, we believe this is the best way to reach them. We intend to use FrontlineSMS to organize our SMS communications, and specifically, to use the smart groups functionality to enable us to handle the many local languages. It will be easy for us to segregate the participants into language based groups, and communicate with them in a tailored way.
What other information could help technologists working on this idea?
Once a potential solution has been developed, what is your plan of action to implement it? Should arise as a series of steps and goals, preferably together with actions assigned to a specific group of people.
- Introduce the idea of SMS Campaign to the target population by organizing alumni meet ups or day workshops.
- Get their permission to add their numbers to the campaign.
- Download FrontlineSMS and SIM card
- Add contacts to FrontlineSMS and group according to language preferernce
- Send introductory SMS welcoming and offering option of subscription to weekly SMS.
- Set up various subscriptions based on type of information to be sent out.
- Ongoing monitoring of FrontlineSMS to make sure incoming texts are answered.