Journalism without Borders
JOURNALISM WITHOUT BORDERS
NGO Project Lead:
All Project Participants:
Alla Prun Anna Prokaeva Yuliana Leonovich Yana Oliynyk Anastasiya Bublyk
Summary of the Problem
This is a description of the problem situation. What kind of people mission better if this problem is solved?
- There is currently no specific online space/platform that journalists and citizens journalists in Belarus and Ukraine share information and network with each other. There are a few small independent groups of civil journalists working in the countries but they don’t connect with each other. There is also an absence of transparent news and information in Ukraine. Online journalism in Belarus is often considered unreliable and online journalists are rarely accredited for events and they are not recognized by the government.
- If we could solve this problem both journalists and the general public would benefit. Journalists would have a space to communicate with each other and network but also the public would have a website or source for reliable news in Ukraine and Belarus.
This should provide an outline of the basic need that would solve the above problem. We need to create a multi-platform online space for journalists to; network with each other; share and source content; and publish reports for the public.
Technology to Solve the Problem
Areas of technology that you believe have the potential to solve this problem? (eg mobile devices, social networks, geospatial technology, etc.). We need to create a website for the Journalism Without Borders network. The website will:
- Be multi-platform with the ability to host content in video, text, photographs, audio.
- Have a discussion/comment section on the site where journalists and civil journalist/local activists will be able to contact each other and network.
- Include information/a training section for citizen journalists who want to contribute. There will be a ‘code of ethics’ section for those wanting to contribute.
- Have the ability to link to social media platforms like Vkontakte, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+, SoundCloud KharkovForum
What other information could help technologists working on this idea? Other events are in progress. As mentioned above any online platforms that journalists use to share content online are relevant to this project. They includeVkontakte, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+, SoundCloud KharkovForum There are existing solutions that are available but these work on a small scale domestically and don’t connect journalists across borders. These include civic.ua , gurt.org.ua, texty.org.ua, nashigroshi
Once a potential solution has been developed, what is your plan of action to implement it?
- Create a closed Facebook group of the TechCamp participants from this group- Group 4 ‘How to create a network of Citizen journalists in Ukraine and Belarus’
- Use email, Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Vkontakte and Google + etc to contact journalists around Belarus and Ukraine and inform them of the initiative, asking them to contribute
- Create the Journalism Without Borders website using Wordpress.com which give us the ability to create multi-page website with the content from the journalists and contributors. This would be the main host site for Journalism Without Borders however we would also have a complimentary Journalism Without Borders Facebook Fan page and a Journalism Without Borders Twitter Page.
- We then use Facebook, Twitter and other social media to promote Journalism Without Borders. We will ask the journalists involved to promote the website. We would join relevant groups online in order to spread the message of Journalism Without Borders.