Managing Volunteers The problem-solution sets provide a method to detail everything needed to galvanize support for addressing a critical problem facing an NGO or grass roots organization.
Summary of the Problem
Description: This is a sentence or two description of the problematic situation facing the civil society organization
How do we efficiently manage volunteers for health needs after a disaster?
Description of the Need
- Organizing before the disaster
- Organizing during the disaster response
- How to maintain interest after the initial emergency response?
- Empowering volunteers to identify needs and react
- Issues of trust or credibility
Who Needs This?
Description: Who is the owner of this need? Which NGO, community-based organization or group of people would better be able to implement their mission if this problem was addressed?
There is a desire from individuals and companies to help, but the need for coordination is needed from responding NGOs.
Description: What are the technology areas you see as potentially solving this problem? (e.g., Mobile, social media, geospatial technologies, etc.)
- Social Media could have a big role: for example creating a Facebook group to organize volunteers before a disaster
- Database for volunteers to register with specific NGOs ahead of time
- Mobile being able to coordinate volunteers in the field.
Description: Provide either a paragraph or bulleted list of how someone might use a proposed solution that is developed
- Volunteers register with their skill sets/experiences
- When a disaster happens responding group can send a message to the volunteers that match their requirements (sms/mobile)
- Volunteers can respond that they are available
- Volunteers could report needs and services they have provided
- Other volunteers and responding organization can identify the unmet needs
- Efforts redirected to where they are needed
Description: What other potential information could help the technologists working on the idea.
- Important the reporting to be SMS based
- Having a website where the information about volunteers, needs and response can be accessed
- System needs to be real-time
- Needs to be sharable with those responding (government, NGOs)
- Frontline SMS
- Linimas(s)a an Indonesian Social Media Usage Documentary film with English Subtitle including #jalinmerapi documentary - This documetary shows how #jalinmerapi organizing volunteers using twitter during Merapi Mountain Eruption.
What Resources Are Needed
Description: In thinking through the resources necessary to solve this problem, what would you want from the private sector, volunteer community, government, large scale NGOs, and/or funding organizations.
- SMS credits to organizing number
- Set-up of the technology
- Need a NGO that wants to adopt the system
- Funding to set-up/maintain
- Doing fundraising
- Advertising to get individuals to register (social media?)
- Support from government/non-profits to increase credibility
This problem-solution set was sent to the Random Hacks of Kindness Organization for their Hackathon on June 4-5.