Summary of the Problem
Description: This is a sentence or two description of the problematic situation facing the civil society organization
Government provides poor public services, characterized by delay, unreliability, corruption.
Description of the Need
Description: This should outline the basic need that would solve the problem listed above. It might have technology options included, but must have a clear need that tech could solve in a number of different ways.
1. Permits to construct buildings.
Problems: Officials are badly paid; they need additional income to exist.
Population affected: Businesses, home owners. (Two different types of home owners: those in municipalities, those in rural areas. Those in municipalities generally follow the law and seek permits before they start to build; those in rural areas tend to build without permission, and seek forgiveness later.)
2. Getting children into Kindergarten.
Problems: There are not enough Kindergarten places; administrators and teachers are underpaid; they need money from parents to supplement salaries; they take bribes to get children onto Kindergarten waiting lists.
Population affected: Parents of small children.
Who Owns This?
Description: Who is the owner of this need? Which NGO, community-based organization or group of people would better be able to implement their mission if this problem was addressed?
1. Permits for business licenses -
No obvious NGO owner.
2. Getting children into Kindergarten -
No obvious NGO owner.
Description: What are the technology areas you see as potentially solving this problem? (e.g., Mobile, social media, geospatial technologies, etc.)
- Webpage with full information about how to build a house, how to get permits, what to expect; forums to share their experiences
- Paper. (Flyers, etc., in rural areas)
- Web-based + mobile phone network
- Facebook campaign
- Games & simulators for youth
Description: Provide either a paragraph or bulleted list of how someone might use a proposed solution that is developed
- Small core of human leaders is necessary; can't build that with SMS or tech. Motivated core team is essential.
- Once the core of activists comes together, use available tools to build a broader network of citizens (homeowners, parents) to network with each other, share information (which can go onto the web site).
- Goal: common information, common picture of what's actually happening (from the large, like how long it takes to get a permit, to the small, like how long is the line at the property office today). Concrete goal: Faster, more efficient, less corrupt behavior by officials; and better, stronger rules.
- Also: Allow people to give voice to their anger about corruption (and get social approval for their experiences and views).
Existing solutions or relevant links
Description: What other potential information could help the technologists working on the idea.
Description: Once a potential solution has been developed, what is your action plan for implementing it? This should be a series of steps and milestones, ideally with actions assigned to specific people.