SSIM Project (Sevastopol Schools Interactive Map)
NGO Project Lead:
Mariya Varlagina (Sevastopol, Ukraine)
All Project Participants:
Andrei Bezruchonak (Minsk, Belarus) Mariya Varlagina (Sevastopol, Ukraine) Vital Zhukovich (Brest, Belarus)
Summary of the Problem
This is a description of the problem situation. What kind of people mission better if this problem is solved? There are 67 secondary schools in Sevastopol with the estimated population rate of 379.200 inhabitants. The territory 864 sq.km (334 sq.mi). It is obvious that general curriculum is practically the same. But each school provides extra curriculum activities (classes, clubs, training centers) (free-of-charge basis and/or paid basis).Such official statistics exist on official municipal level. But larger groups of stakeholders (parents, current school students, potential school students, teachers not being engaged in certain school, other educators, etc) do not have access to such information in terms of visibility and specific data. Stakeholders of all levels would like to get answers to 5 W and 1 H questions: What do schools offer? Where is the school located? When they provide these services? (schedules) Who (teachers/trainers) is the provider of the services? Why I want to use these services? (interests, benefits) How am I able to get this service? (payment, face-to-face, online, blended forms) The problem is: how can we use the interactive map to provide detailed information about extra curricula activities in Sevastopol secondary schools for the stakeholders?
This should provide an outline of the basic need that would solve the above problem.
- Human resources (to create a work group)
- Financial resources (to find basic financing)
- Municipal official boards support (collaboration)
- A person in charge of the project (a leader= inspiration + work + success)
- Product - map
Technology to Solve the Problem
Areas of technology that you believe have the potential to solve this problem? (e.g. mobile devices, social networks, geospatial technology, etc.).
- Geospacial technology (mapping)
- Promotion of the final product via social networks
- Promotion of the final product via media
Once a potential solution has been developed, what is your plan of action to implement it?
- To name the organizer of the project
- To form a project work group (a team)
- To set time frames for project (start/beginning)
- Data Collection (number of schools, extra-curricula services outline, descriptions (text/audio/video), number of hours, persona (educators, trainers), target audiences, schedules, payment, format (face-to-face, online, blended, individual/group), location, transportation
- GIS Analysis (geographical coordinates)
- Map Design