Volunteer Spark: Volunteering to Change Palestine!
NGO Lead: Arwa Jaber
Project Participants: University Students, Counslors, Community Volunteer Organizations
Summary of the Problem
How to utilize social media to mobilize “volunteer work” & youth led campaigns in Palestine?
- Create a two day Volunteer Fair (make it an annual fair) where each volunteer organization can come and have a info booth and sign up to volunteer. Provide food, beverages. Get sponsors. Provide entertainment. Volunteer T-Shirts. Movie screening on Volunteer Work—providing testimonials, stories of successes, etc. Sign-ups that would be transferred to a database. Invite Non-Profits, Red Cross, municpalities, hospitals) Each University Student Center will host the Volunteer Fair.
- Create/build a Facebook app or group to broadcast volunteer opps.
- Database (App engine)
- People who need volunteers
- Incentives -> Food and drink, Social perks, gifts, Free stuff!!
- CRM reccommendations
- Subscriptions to Match volunteers with volunteer opps.
Technology to Solve the Problem
Model 1 -Create a centralized website that would include the following:
- Tumblr/Blogs—each volunteer organization or volunteer project can have their own.
- create decentralized website
- create network
Other links that are helpful:
- Contact Universities: PR Department, Student Unions/Student Centers, Counslors/Coordinators, Student affairs.
- Invite Non-Profit Organizations, Civic groups, Relief Agencies, etc.
- Contact the Multiplicities.
- Contact local Business for sponsorship: Jewwel…
Who, What, When, Where, Why, How?
Who: Need 10-20 organizing members, 1-2 students from each University, 6-7 project coordinators.
What: Creating a culture of Volunteerism among University students and connecting them with Volunteer Opportunities.
When: Timeframe of Event: September during Freshman orientation at each University.
Where: Palestinian Universities
Why: To change the world!
How: By Creating and establishing relationships with community partners/universities/family/friends through the vehicle of volunteer culture.
- Create Buzz + Reach Potential Volunteers (Working Groups of 10-20 people, 1-2 University representatives, 6-7 project coordinators)
- Create action/work plan for the Volunteer Fair
- Create Facebook Fan Page
- Create simple Wordpress website with Volunteer Testimonials, Success stories, Youtube Vlogs…
- Build relationships in community/build a network.
- Organize the Volunteer Fair.
- Hold the Volunteer Fair in September during Freshman Orientation.
- Collect data from community and keep in database
- Create website of Volunteer Matchmaking